Wednesday 15 April 2015

A (SORT OF) Fair Trade Easter

My mother and I walked into the Warehouse. She was going to buy the easter eggs for my younger sisters.

"I was going to make some Easter eggs though."
"Okay, so I'll just get a couple."
"I'll be impressed if you can even buy 'FairTrade' chocolate."
"Okay."
But I knew that there is only one 'FairTrade' easter egg avaliable in New Zealand stores. There are no organic eggs. There are no eggs that are verifiably made from non West African cocoa beans. This is why it is really hard to be ethical in New Zealand.

As you can read about on my other posts, even if chocolate is marked "Fair Trade" it is not necessarally produced ethically, but there are some ways in which that is better. 

When Mum realisd that, she brought some of the Cadbury FairTrade Dairymilk eggs. Then she brought some "white chocolate" with little cocoa content, and a few packets of other eggs.

If you want to try buying white chocolate as a slightly better solution over buying regular uncertified chocolate, look at the ingredients on the packet. Some white 'chocolate' contains no actual cocoa content. It is simply a chocolate style confectionary with sugar and solid vegetable fat. Unlike other kinds of chocolate, there usually won't be any cocoa powder, but if the ingredients say "cocoa fat" "Theobroma oil" or "cocoa butter" then the chocolate definately contains cocoa. If the ingredients say "vegetable fats" it's possible that there is some cocoa fat in but more likely it's just a mixture of other cheaper fats. 

I used the Trade Aid recipe that I posted below. I found it more convienient to make small egg shaped balls of ganache and then dip them in chocolate, and set them on a plate, rather than to leave them setting on spoons. The result had a flat bottom but were still great tasting easter eggs and were fins once wrapped in foil. I also made marshemellow eggs which I loved. To make them, fill a dish with flour, make indents into the flour with a tablespoon, make some marshmellow (by adding gelatine to hot sugar and beating it until it's frothy. If you can't find a recipe, comment below and I'll find one to put on here) and spoon marshmellow into the spoon indents. Leave them until they set, them scoop them out, coat them in chocolate, and join two together to make two halves of a marshemellow egg with a thick crunchy bit of chocolate in the middle -YUM- Trade Aid dark chocolate really has a good effect with the sweetness of the marshemellow.

No comments:

Post a Comment