Saturday 20 June 2015

Trapped

A collection of poetry for those who are trapped


Domestic slave.

I am in a room, with a mop, and a broom.
I sleep, on the floor, till they unlock the door.
Alone, and afraid. I am their maid.
Abused and unpaid, I am their slave.
I must prepare breakfast. But I may not eat.
I must bathe their children, and wash their feet.
I must clean their clothes, but I’m dressed in rags.
I must clean their whole house, and pack their bags.
I don’t speak their language,
I don’t know my way,
Anywhere outside,
That locked gate.
My life, for years, has been in this house.
Confined to these walls. I cannot go out.
Can’t talk to my family, they don’t know,
that I’m even alive, in here all alone.
I’ve no passport, no money, to travel home.
Even if I were free, where could I go?

Prostitute slave

I shiver and yawn, in the night time air.
In the blink of an eye, cry my forbidden tear.
Red light reflecting off of my hair.
I don’t want to be out here, but please don’t take me in.
… If one more man uses me, my heart may cave in.
If I don’t make money, I’ll be beaten.
But If somebody uses me, Oh, I’m torn.
I’m tired and afraid. I want to go home.
For somebody to help me, for somebody to save me, for somebody to love me,
I used to wish,
But now I know.
love doesn’t exist.


Child slave

Why do I have to do this? This is no fun!
Carrying heavy stones,
in the heat of the sun.
I want to go and play.
It’s my seventh birthday!
I wanna have fun!
I used to play football.
I wish I could now.
But I have to work.
And I don’t know how
I’m gonna learn to read
If I can’t go to school.
My dad works here too.
As my whole family do.
Will I have to be here
My whole life too?

Another child slave

Mummy, Daddy, I wish I was home.
Why can’t you come and find me?
Why did you have to send me away?
With grown ups who don’t even like me?
They lied that they'd take me to go to that school far away.
They’re making me work really hard ALL DAY!
I don’t understand why I can’t be at home,
I wish I was with you,
And wasn’t alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment