Saturday 29 August 2015

Help combat human trafficking - Live Below the Line with me!

Here's a way you can help to combat human trafficking - live below the line.
Live below the line is a challenge where first world people buy all our food for the equivelent of the extreme poverty line. It used to have an acronim of LBL which is quite unfortunately associated with something else. (Google it).
Let us not use that.

The extreme poverty line (Thanks year 12 social studies) is an amount of money; whatever is trading at the equivelent of $1.25 USD.  People below the line live in many different countries and circumstances, but people who have less than this to pay for their living expenses per day, are living below the line. The problem is that currencies are not all worth the same amount of money, and the cost of living varies a lot from place to place, which is why I don't like defining poverty by how much money you have. I've seen that poverty is more than the lack of money. Poverty is the lack appropriate living conditions, and, too often, the lack of hope.

But, I do like 'live below the line' because it gives us a taste of what a struggle life is for these people.

I did live below the line, I think about three years ago. Now I'm doing it again.
I'll be blogging my experience, videos, information, and my menu, here, and on my live below the line page.

No comments:

Post a Comment