Tuesday 29 September 2015

Day 5

Sorry for the late post, but here's how I finnished off Live Below The Line.

 The night of day four, I made lunch for day five. Given that I had lived out of a bag of rice for five days, it felt weird emptying the bag. "What will I have for dinner!" a voice in my mind asked. I glanced over at the potato. Yes, I did have a potato. I wouldn't need to skip lunch again and save the rice. But that was what my instinct told me to do. It was a weird thought that the daily rice dinner had come to an end. Now that I'm back onto a health diet, I won't be having any rice for quite a while. In the morning, I made my last Daliya out of all the kibbled rye in the bottom of the bag. I saved some onion "In case I need it" even though I knew I wouldn't, (I did add it to the sauce in the end) saved the end of a carrot, to eat with dinner, and some tomatos for a sauce to go with my anticuchos.

 I felt so full after eating all the daliya I'd had left. I barely got hungry by lunch time. It felt almost as though I wasn't on Live Below The Line. For lunch I had a Peruvian style "garlic rice" which wasn't briliant, because I had to use a dribble of vinegar instead of the lemon juice Peruvians use. ...And also because I put too much water in the rice. But nevermind, it was food and I had the privelege of being able to have three meals. Oh, and my last 1/4 of my dal.

 I brought my dinner to work. I had to go to work at a takeaway shop and cook other people's burgers while I was hungry. But, I'd imagine quite a few people in extreme poverty prepare food for richer people. In other countries where restaraunts don't have minimum wages. I know what they would feel like. I took anticuchos on sticks, with potatoes and carrot in a container, and sauce in another. I cooked the anticuchos at work, seeing as beleive it or not, we have facilities to grill food there. It felt appropriate to think this is quite possably what Aldair's family would have as a treat when (if) they have takeaways, but if they could have takeaways, it would definitely be a treat. Hey, perhaps some people from their community are employed cooking it. I enjoyed it. The anticuchos didn't taste quite as good with white vinegar as they had when I made them with sushi vinegar. But that's how you live below the line in New Zealand.

 Before I took my little box of Peruvian takeaways to work, I put the little box that I had kept my Live Below The Line Food in back in the cupboard; completely empty of food. I felt great eating all my food, actually being full for once, and knowing that the next day I would also be full. But, in the back of my mind was the sad realisation that for 1 billion people, the end of living in extreme poverty hasn't come yet. Each day they struggle to have enough. Each day they are careful not to eat all their food even though they are hungry -They don't know if they'll be able to get any more tomorrow. Likewise for victims of human trafficking, they can't see an end. Let's put an end to living below the line. Let's put an end to slavery. ... I know. We might not ever really be able to rid the world of those two ugly things, but we can definitely end it for one person. That's changing a world. Donate now.

Anticuchos (My Live Below The Line version)

100ml white vinegar,
1/4 tsp cumin seeds,
3 cloves garlic (Or less, I had lots of garlic left so I used it)
Fresh Parsely and oregano, (Or dried herbs for about 1.5 cents per 1/2 tsp)
ground pepper,

100g chicken hearts, (Or other heart meat)
3 kebab skewers (From the bottom of my cupboard, not included in my budget but probably worth a couple cents each)

(Do this in the morning if it's for dinner)
Crush garlic, and place the marinade ingredients in a small bowl. Add the chicken hearts. Leave in the fridge. Stir them a bit every now and again (I stirred once before and once after school) to make sure all the hearts get coated in marinade since there won't be enough to cover them.

Just before dinner time, put them on sticks. I used three kebab sticks. Grill for 5-10 minutes ensuring the hearts are heated through but not overcooked.

Serve with potato and a sauce.


No comments:

Post a Comment