Saturday 26 September 2015

Day Four -Almost over

(24th September)
Today, I was running late to school, so I brought my daliya with me in a little plastic container and are it at recess. Having breakfast later didn't make lunch time any easier though. I saw the fruit that New Zealand school children get each day. It's hard not to be able to have any. I set to work making my dinner straight after I got home. I had soaked my beans all day for making Boussan Touba, which my sponsored child, Nouridine might eat. But I had to work out which African sauce recipe to use. I had heard that Burkinabe usually serve meals with a sauce. I found a recipe with meat in it, and just left it out as well as some other ingredients. Here are my recipes followed by the links to the originals.

Bousan Touba with rice and sauce. - Live Below the line version

For the rice:
1/2 cup of rice,
(I just cooked it normally)

For the sauce:
3 tomatos from a tin.
slice of onion,
2 cloves garlic,
1/2 green chilli.
Parsely from our garden.

Chop the veggies, cook the onion and garlic and chilli, then add some water, add the tomato and parsely into that. Once my sauce had cooked a while and everything was mushy, I pure'd it.

For the Bousan Touba (bean cakes)
about 80 grams black eye peas,
One egg,
1/2 a carrot, chopped,
slice of onion,
salt and pepper.
3tsp oil.

Put the bean cake ingredients in a food processor, or in my case a jug with a stick mixer, and pure. This is quite a lot of egg to beans, so in hindsight, I could have scrambled the egg, had some scrambled egg with something else, and used half an egg in the bousan touba. In saying that, mine worked fine. The mixture was runny, but bound well because of the egg.

Spread tablespoons of mixture in the pan with just a little bit of oil. Cook for about a minute and then gently flip, and press down to flatten, and allow the edges to cook more evenly.

Serve Bousan Touba with sauce and rice with the sauce.

Recipes inspired by the more authentic recipes

For Bousan Touba; http://travelbystove.blogspot.co.nz/2012/07/recipes-from-burkina-faso.html#.VgZkbPmqpxR

For sauce: http://rw7howto.blogspot.co.nz/2012/10/how-to-make-burkina-tomato-sauce.html



No comments:

Post a Comment