Thursday 20 June 2013

57 Hours

If you have just joined me, I am spending 80 hours eating only vegetables and water. The point of this is
1; to simulate how boring some peoples diets are. 2; to show that people in poverty aren't there for a couple of days, it's permanent for them. 3; so that people I know can sponsor me, and the money can go to world vision. Specifically to do work in Bogainville in Papua New Guinea.

The first day of my famine was terrible. I seemed to feel hungry no matter what I ate. I hated the taste of everything. I just wished I hadn't decided to do this stupid thing for sooo long.

The second day was worse! By this time I was well and truly sick of vegetables. Every time I saw someone eating some other food, I wanted some. What I missed most was bread. For the first time in my life, I wanted to just give up on the famine.

Today is the third day of my famine, and I have had a change of heart. Now, I think that I am lucky to have vegetables. What changed my mind? I watched a couple of videos on you tube. Yes, you tube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bEtqZoD4V4&list=HL1371717159
In this video, a world vision worker is shown the three hour journey some people have to go through in order to get water. It looks to me like torture.  Annother video;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2INwynf3kI&list=HL1371717159
In this video a nine year old girl from Scotland who has raised money (With her blog NeverSeconds) for a kitchen where porridge can be cooked for school children in Malawi. The video explains how it is that people can possibly be thankful for a mug of porridge each day. How the children come to school so they can have it, and how that will motivate them to stay in school. Ok. I'm not going to complain about my vegetables ANY MORE

Meals today!
Today for breakfast I ate a very bland vegetable soup. I wasn't even allowed salt.
For lunch I had baked mixed vegetables, it's becoming my favourite meal out of everything I've eaten during the famine.
For dinner I baked some mixed green vegetables wrapped in a baking paper parcel. along with this I used a recipe I saw on The Erin Simpson show this afternoon. I had to change it a bit since it had chease and sour cream. I had potato with fried finely chopped onion and chilli and coriander. I didn't really like it but like I said, who am I to complain?

Please sponsor me!


No comments:

Post a Comment